Anyway. I made it to Athens flying via Rome and caught the Metro from the airport to a station very near my hotel (Monasteraki). The hotel had a bizarre set-up where reception and the breakfast room and half the accomodation rooms are on one side of a ridiculously busy street, and the rest of the rooms (including mine) were on the other side. Dumb...
| (Blurry) view of the Acropolis from my hotel room |
| The street I had to cross to the other half of the hotel. This is 10pm on a Sunday... Imagine rush hour... |
In Monasteraki Square there were some guys with bongos and paint tins etc drumming away with some tribal rhythms and a whole lot of people dancing and clapping to the beats. The restaurants and shops were still open and doing good business. It was a pretty good scene.
I had also noticed that there were quite a few homeless people and beggars, but they seemed well cared for. There were people going around handing out cups of hot soup to them, and most of them had a mat that looked to be woven out of recycled plastic bags (which I assume insulates them against the cold ground) and several good blankets. I saw another woman going around and asking them if there was any medicines or services that they needed.
Many buildings are closed and rundown and covered in graffiti, but there are some signs of rebuilding. It's quite weird. There is affluence and poverty all mixed in together.
![]() |
| This is how things are all over the city... Those businesses that survived the crisis beside those that didn't |
The next day I climbed the Acropolis...

Fascinating to get your take on Europe. We saw lots of what looked like professional beggars in Naples - women with deformed babies, men with ancient dogs - but nobody seeming to care for them much. And the traffic - OMG! Red lights are 'just a suggestion' so cross at your peril! Loving your commentary. Bev
ReplyDeleteI thought that the beggars in Italy were really intrusive, approaching people and shaking their cups at you for money. The ones I saw in Greece are quite different. They sit there almost in prayer pose holding their cups, but don't approach or 'beg'. It is a much more passive method. It'd be interesting to see which way nets better results! Nothing turns me off more than having a cup waved in my face...
Delete